Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Dictator was finally overthrown


Today 13 years ago, Indonesian dictator, Supreme General Soeharto was overthrown. Not by the popular movement, foreign pressure nor the domestic political rivalry among elites. He was overthrown by the combination of them all. No one liked Soeharto anymore.

But overthrowing Soeharto was not enough. It was never enough. What was more crucial was, what came next after Soeharto? Where will Indonesia go? What kind of leadership and political system Indonesia should have? Who will lead and continue the "reform" movement? How Soeharto and his cronies should be treated? And so many more questions to answer.

That was what I had in mind exactly 13 years ago, when I was still inside the detention centre of Jakarta Metropolitan Police. One other question for me personally was, whether I will be freed after the fall of the dictatorship.

Now, 13 years later, I have some small assessments and reflections.
I do believe and enjoy that there have been so many changes and improvements, as compared to the previous authoritarian rule of General Soeharto. But not to be mislead, I would prefer to compare the current regime to those countries with democratic rules, and most importantly with the demands and expectation of the vast majority of the people. This way, I oppose the way Indobarometer findings...

The current government SHOULD WORK VERY MUCH HARDER, not for they political groups today or for 2014, but for Indonesia as a nation, for generations to come...

No comments: